On Your Lot
Off‐site Building Requirements
Want To Build One Of Our Cottages On Your Site?
Cottage Building Company, LLC, would be delighted to work with you to build one of our cottage homes on a site you already own or plan to purchase.
We want to make you aware of a few considerations and fees that may come into play should you build in a community where we are not the developer. This is a partial list of items that may or may not be required, depending on where you wish to build and the architectural review board requirements for each particular community.
- Community Plan Application Fee—This is for the submission and review of plans in some communities. In our experience, they have ranged from $500 to $2,500.
- Architects Fee—Some communities require that all plans be stamped by a licensed architect. Our plans are created by a house designer, so there is an additional fee to have them stamped by an architect.
- Community Road Use Fee—Some communities assess this for the repair of roads following construction traffic. Typically, these fees run from $500 to $2,500.
- Landscape Plan Fee— For communities that require a registered landscape architect to prepare a landscape plan, the fee is typically around $850.
- Construction Bond—This may be required to assure the community that the home is built in accordance with the approved plans. The typical fee is between $2,500 and $5,000, which is refunded back to the owner once final approval is received.
- Additional Surveying Requirements—Many communities require that additional surveys be provided during the construction process, such as a foundation survey. The costs vary by community.
- Irrigation Meter—Brunswick County requires a second irrigation meter to be installed when using public water for irrigation, at a typical cost of $550. We use recycled water in our communities, so this is not required.
- Grinder Pump—Some communities have a force main sanitary sewer system that requires an onsite grinder pump. Brunswick County charges a one-time fee of $4,000 for the installation.
- Propane Tank Burial—Some communities require that propane tanks be buried on the lot, which is an additional cost.
- Longer Driveway—Based on the lot and plan configuration, most driveways will be longer than what is included in our original plans. Additional costs will be incurred by the lot owner.
- Landscaping and Irrigation—Our lots are typically between 1/5 and 1/6 of an acre. Larger lots will require additional landscaping, irrigation and sod, resulting in increased costs.
- Additional Architectural Requirements—We use high quality finishes on the exterior of our homes, which are included in our base price. However, some communities require additional finishes to meet their guidelines. For example, they may require a full masonry brick foundation instead of a parged foundation, or clad windows instead of vinyl. Additional pricing is dependent on the house plan and the specific community requirements.
- Sub-Surface Soil Conditions—The lot owner is responsible for obtaining a soil and sub-surface test/evaluation to determine if the bearing capacity is suitable to build on, as well as all additional costs to remediate any adverse conditions encountered.
We are happy to meet with you to discuss the logistics of building one of our award-winning cottage homes on your site, including which requirements and fees may apply. Simply contact us at (910) 343-9203 for an appointment.